Poetry Writing Workshop Series @ Central
Cranston Public Library is pleased to partner with Crosswinds Poetry to offer a free four-session poetry writing workshop series for beginning and intermediate poets ages 16 and up.
In four weekly in-person poetry workshops you’ll learn:
- Ways of moving an audience with your poem
- Effective ways to use rhyme, alliteration, metaphor, line enjambment, and other poetic techniques that will help improve your poems
- How and when to use the internet as you work on your poem
- How to best avoid common poetic mistakes
- Techniques to use when reworking your poem drafts
- How to increase your chances of getting published
- How to prepare a poetry manuscript for submission
- How to find magazines and journals open to newer poets
Workshop dates are March 28, April 4, April 11, and April 18. Participants are asked to commit to all four sessions.
Following these sessions, interested poets are invited to read their poems at a Poetry Workshop Showcase on Saturday, April 22 at 2:30 PM (requires separate registration).
Free and open to the public. Space is limited to ten participants and registration is required. Register below or contact the library for assistance. Please include an email address when registering.
Between sessions, each participant has the option of receiving feedback by e-mail on their in-progress poem drafts.
David Dragone is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Crosswinds Poetry Journal, an international journal of poetry in its 8th year of publication. Dave’s poetry has appeared in Avocet, Bryant Literary Review, California Quarterly, Common Ground Review, Commonweal, Connecticut River Review, Main Street Rag, The Providence Journal, Rhode Island Public Radio, Trinity Repertory Theater, and others. Dave is the author of two full-length poetry books: Temperaments, and the more recent Primal, published in 2022. He is a member of The Academy of American Poets, The New England Poetry Club, and Ocean State Poets. Dave facilitates poetry workshops in libraries, teaches violin, and serves on the board of the non-profit Notable Works Publication and Distribution Company. Read more about him at davedragone.com.
- Dates & Times:
- 6:30pm - 7:30pm, Tuesday, March 28, 2023
6:30pm - 7:30pm, Tuesday, April 4, 2023
6:30pm - 7:30pm, Tuesday, April 11, 2023
6:30pm - 7:30pm, Tuesday, April 18, 2023
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Zach Berger; 401-943-9080 x3; firstname.lastname@example.org
- James T. Giles Community Room
- Central Library
- Adults Teens
- Author Event Craft & Hobby